Application Deadline: December 15 (all materials due)
Thank you for considering applying to UT Austin's premier graduate program for computational science, engineering, and mathematics.
As you plan your application, please keep in mind:
- The CSEM Program only accepts applications for the fall semester.
- The CSEM Program is primarily a PhD track program. We admit a limited number of students to the Master’s program each year. If your ultimate goal is the PhD degree, you should indicate PhD as the degree sought on your application. (The Master's program is NOT a stepping stone to the PhD program.)
- All PhD applicants are considered for financial aid.
- Master's only applicants are NOT considered for financial aid.
- The CSEM Program is designated as an Intercollegial Program. We are NOT affiliated with the Mathematics Department, the College of Natural Sciences, or the Cockrell School of Engineering.
Bachelor's degree with a major in any of the following disciplines: Engineering, Mathematics, Computer Science, any of the Physical or Biological Sciences, or Finance
- Overall grade point average (GPA) of at least a 3.0 (on a 4.0 scale), or the equivalent, in all upper-division work and in any graduate work already completed
Official GRE scores
- TOEFL score of 79 (iBT) OR an IELTS overall band score of 6.5 (International applicants only - waiver information)
How To Apply
Application materials are collected online through the Graduate & International Admissions Center (GIAC).
- Complete and submit the online application for admission through the Graduate & International Admissions Center (GIAC). Use the ApplyTexas online application. Select "Computational Science, Engineering, and Mathematics" as your major.
- Pay your application fee ($65.00 for U.S. applicants; $90.00 for International applicants.)
- Submit official GRE scores. The ETS code for the University of Texas at Austin is 6882 (department code is not required.)
- Submit official TOEFL or IELTS scores (international applicants only.)
Within 48 hours after you submit the online application and pay your application fee, GIAC will send you an e-mail directing you to the Application Status Check website where you must upload the following:
- Official transcripts for all senior colleges and universities attended. Instructions for uploading transcripts
- Statement of Purpose. Please use the upload function to submit your Statement of Purpose as a pdf (do not submit it through the online application.) Guidelines for the Statement of Purpose: Please describe in your own words why you want to study within the CSEM Program at the University of Texas at Austin, what areas of research you are most interested in pursuing, who from among our faculty you would like to have advise you on your research, and your career plans. Please also include each program and university to which you have applied and why you applied to that program.
- CSEM Program Departmental Application. This is a fillable PDF form with Adobe 7.0 or later.
- If you are a U.S. citizen and wish to be considered for the CSEM Fellowship, please submit a fourth letter of recommendation. Use the "Manage your recommendation requests" function through the Application Status Check to send additional Requests for References.
Summary of Required Application Materials
- Online ApplyTexas application submitted through the Graduate & International Admissions Center (GIAC)
- Official transcripts (uploaded online)
- GRE scores
- TOEFL or IELTS scores (international applicants only)
- Statement of Purpose (see guidelines listed above)
- Three letters of recommendation
- Fourth letter of recommendation (for CSEM Fellowship consideration only)
- CSEM Program Departmental Application
You are strongly encouraged to submit the online application well in advance of the December 15 deadline. Requests for letters of recommendation are not sent out until after the application has been submitted and the application fee paid. Please direct questions to:
CSEM Graduate Coordinator