We are now accepting applications for Fall 2013.
Thank you for considering admission to UT Austin's premier graduate program for computational science, engineering, and mathematics.
As you plan for graduate school, please keep in mind:
- The UT Austin CSEM Program only considers applications for the fall semester.
- The UT Austin CSEM Program is primarily a Ph.D. track program. We admit only a limited number of students to the Master’s program each year. If your ultimate goal is the PhD degree, you should indicate PhD as the degree sought on your application.
Deadline: January 15
Undergraduate degree with a major in any of the Engineering disciplines, any of the Physical or Biological Sciences, Computer Science, Finance, or Mathematics.
- Grade point average of at least a 3.0 (on a 4.0 scale), or comparable grade point average, in upper-division work (junior- and senior-level courses) and in any graduate work already completed.
Graduate Record Examination (GRE) General Test.
- For international applicants: A TOEFL score of 79 (internet-based test), 213 (computer-based test), or 550 (paper test) OR an IELTS overall band score of 6.5.
How To Apply
- Complete the online application for admission through the Graduate & International Admissions Center (GIAC). As part of the online application, you must submit transcripts, GRE scores, TOEFL or IELTS scores (if applicable), a Statement of Purpose and three letters of recommendation.
- Guidelines for Statement of Purpose -- Please describe in your own words why you want to study within the CSEM Program at the University of Texas at Austin, what areas of research you are most interested in pursuing, who from among our faculty you would like to have advise you on your research, and your career plans. Please also include each program and school to which you have applied and why you applied to that program.
- Upload the Departmental Application. After you have submitted the online application and your fee has been paid, you must upload the CSEM Program application form (this is a fillable PDF form with Adobe 7.0 or later.) Upload the
completed CSEM application at the Supplemental Documents Upload Page. Please select "Departmental Application" as the document type.
- For CSEM Fellowship Consideration (U.S. citizens only): A fourth letter of recommendation is suggested for applicants who wish to be considered for a CSEM Fellowship. The online application only has space for three recommenders, however, after you submit your application and it loads on our system, you can send additional Requests for References through the online Application Status Check using the “Manage your recommendation requests” function.
Summary of Required Application Materials
- Online application submitted through the Graduate & International Admissions Center (GIAC)
- Official transcripts
- GRE scores
- TOEFL or IELTS scores (international students only)
- Statement of Purpose (see content guidelines listed above)
- Three letters of recommendation
- Fourth letter of recommendaiton (for CSEM Fellowship applicants only)
- CSEM Program Application Form (departmental application)
You are strongly encouraged to complete the online application well in advance of the actual deadline. Once submitted online, the application can still take up to two weeks to reach the department. In addition, the letter of recommendation requests are not sent to your references until your online application has been submitted. Please direct questions to:
CSEM Graduate Coordinator